February 2011

Scroll down and view just a sample of the many

photos you will see each month

in The Kentucky Explorer magazine.


 

Donald Guill, P. O. Box 76, Shandon, OH 45063; dguill@aol.com, shares this photo taken from the L&N Railroad tracks of Updykes General Store in Heidelberg, Lee County, Kentucky. Albert Updyke is shown whittling on the front porch in June 1977. Donald also has various other photos of the store showing the soda fountain, potbellied stove, and cash register. He is looking for other photos taken in Heidelberg of the depot and water towers. Donald lives in a suburb of Cincinnati and has a one-fourth-scale railroad on his property, with one-and-one-half miles of track, complete with a Kentucky town, consisting of a depot, church, school, general store and several houses. It can be viewed at www.diamondcar.net. Train rides are offered free. Feel free to contact Donald for further information.

Preston Combs, P. O. Box 87, Oneida, KY 40972; 606/847-9527, shares this photo, taken in 1949 at Manchester, Clay County, Kentucky. Pitman Combs is shown crossing the street, wearing a light colored hat and coat, headed toward the drug store. The two-story building behind him is the Webb Hotel. The hotel had a restaurant at street level and rental rooms on the second floor. Pitman lived all his life on Bullskin Road at Oneida with his wife, Dema Webb Combs, and their four sons: William Dempsey, Preston Breckenridge, Edward, and Lee Vernon. Preston and his wife, Golden, live on Bullskin Road today.

The Elam Brothers in 1900 at White Oak, Morgan County, Kentucky. Back row, l-r: Shelby Smith Elam, Butler Jackson Elam, William G. Elam, and Ernest Elam. Front row, l-r: Kelly Elam, Nick Elam, McKinley Elam. These were the sons of Leander C. Elam and Frances Nickell Elam. See story and other photos in the February 2011 issue about the Elam Brothers.

Students were gathered on the front porch of the old Turners School at Turners Creek, Breathitt County, Kentucky, in 1959. Schoolbuildings such as this one were used as a voting houses during county elections. (Photo courtesy of Imogene Herald.)

Morrison Park School was located just below the Morrison Camp Meeting Grounds on Bristletown Road in Barren County, Kentucky. These students, teachers, and probably parents gathered for this photo on November 5, 1915. Identities are unknown.
(WKU Library Special Collections) See complete article and other photos regarding the Morrison Camp Meetings Grounds in the February 2011 issue of The Kentucky Explorer.


Come along and explore with our thousands of readers.

The Kentucky Explorer Contains Over 100 Photos Each Month.